The story of Wesley UMC goes further back to the 1850’s. The German M.E. Church of Oshkosh, Wisconsin was organized in the year 1856, by the Rev. John C. Rinder. It enjoyed a steady growth for many years. The first church was erected in 1867 at a cost of $4,318. When fire destroyed the greater part of Oshkosh in 1875 this church was also reduced to ashes. Late in the same year two lots with a dwelling on the corner of Tenth and Nebraska Streets were purchased for $1,300. The new church was erected at a cost of $6,700. This was the church home for thirty-two years. In 1908 the church was rebuilt at an approximate cost of $7,900. In 1900 a new parsonage was built. A furnace, electric lights, gas, and a bathroom made it a modern home, which was greatly appreciated by the pastor and his family.
From 1913-1918 Rev. J.P. Koeller pastored the German Methodist congregation. It was during his ministry that he led and guided the subsequent union with 2nd Methodist church and Park Presbyterian to form Tenth Street Methodist which later became Wesley United Methodist Church.